Riders test out Oldsmar new BMX Supercross track during the public grand opening on Thursday, Oct. 15, 2015.
Hundreds of riders and spectators flocked to Oldsmar’s Canal Park on Thursday evening for the public grand opening of the city’s newly remodeled BMX Supercross track.
Following months of construction, work on the $2 million project went right down to the wire, with Thursday’s grand opening coming just a day in advance of the big USA BMX Gator Nationals event this weekend.
But judging by the size of the crowd that came out for the event, which featured practice runs by the racers as well as food and live entertainment, all the hard work paid off.
Oldsmar Mayor Doug Bevis addresses the crowd at the grand opening of the BMX Supercross track,
“I’d like to thank (Leisure Services Director) Lynn Rives and all the City of Oldsmar staff for working their (blanks) off to get this finished in time for Gator Nationals,” an enthusiastic Oldsmar Mayor Doug Bevis told the crowd as riders tested the track behind him.
“A week ago we didn’t know if we were going to get this open in time, but here we are!”
Judging by the early reactions, the facility is already a hit.
“It’s great, I love it,” Canadian rider Amelia Walsh said during a break in her practice runs.
“I like how they changed the direction of the track,” the 23-year-old Olympic hopeful added. “It’s much better as far as the the wind now.”
City officials were just as impressed.
“It’s really amazing,” City Council member Gabby McGee said from a spot atop the 20-foot-high main hill. “What a great job they did with this facility.
Riders prepare to go down the 20-foot hill at Oldsmar’s BMX Supercross track.
“Unbelievable,” Council member Dan Saracki said as he stared at the towering main hill. “This is awesome!”
Those same city officials will have an opportunity to really explore the track when all five council members, including Mayor Bevis, take a trial run around the track at the ribbon cutting ceremony prior to the opening of the Gator Nationals on Friday evening.
“Gabby will probably finish first, so I hope I can come in second and we beat all those boys!” Council member Linda Foley Norris said as she got tips from pro rider Jeff Brown Thursday night.
Let the games begin!
If you go:
- What: 2015 USA BMX Gator Nationals event
- When: Friday, Oct. 16 – Sunday, Oct. 18 (Pro races on Friday at 5:00 p.m. and Saturday at noon)
- Where: Oldsmar BMX Supercross track, 3120 Tampa Road, Oldsmar, FL. 34677
- Details: The Gator Nationals is one of 13 USA BMX National Pro Series events held across the country, drawing thousands of riders, race teams and spectators from all over the world. The three-day event features practices and races every day, with food, merchandise, entertainment and other activities spread throughout the track grounds.
- Cost: Free admission; parking $5.00/day
- Info: www.oldsmarbmx.org; 727-786-7433