Officials for the local nonprofit Oldsmar Cares have offered assistance to the family whose home was badly damaged by a five-alarm fire early Sunday morning.
A five-alarm fire early Sunday morning caused severe damage to a 3,500-sq.-ft. home on Lafayette Boulevard in Oldsmar. Photo Credit: Dana Barrow.
An Oldsmar family whose home was badly damaged by a five-alarm fire early Sunday morning has been offered assistance by Oldsmar Cares in the wake of the incident.
The family suffered a significant loss of property, including major damage to their 3,500-sq.-ft. Lafayette Boulevard home, from a blaze that was reportedly started by candles that had been left burning in the home the night before.
But while their losses are believed to be great, a representative for Oldsmar Cares said the family declined to accept help from the local nonprofit at this time as they assess their situation.
“I’ve talked to the family a couple of times, and I told them we’re able to help them with anything they need whenever they’re ready,” Oldsmar Cares board member Dana Barrow told Oldsmar Connect on Monday.
Firefighters from five communities battled a blaze in Oldsmar early Sunday morning. Photo Credit: Dana Barrow.
“Everything is so new to them right now, I’m not sure if they know what they need,” she added. “I think eventually they’re going to need everything, because they lost just about everything. It’s just a question of when they’re ready.”
Barrow was one of many bystanders on scene as dozens of firefighters fought the blaze throughout the early morning hours.
“It was awful, just a devastating fire,” she said. “They’re blessed they were all able to get out in time.”
She said the family, which consists of a husband, wife and an 8-or-9-year-old son, plus a daughter who was away at college, is extremely kind and has donated to Oldsmar Cares in the past.
This Lafayette Boulevard home was ravaged by fire early Sunday morning. Photo Credit: Dana Barrow.
“They’re extremely nice people. They’ve donated to Oldsmar Cares before,” Barrow said. “I don’t think they expected to be in this situation where we are now offering them assistance, but I told them what you give, you often get back.”
The family has already received an outpouring of support from neighbors, friends and family members, even strangers, according to Barrow.
“I think it’s great how this community is so willing to come together to help these people out, people they don’t even know in many cases,” she said.
Barrow said that while the family isn’t ready to accept any assistance at this time, Oldsmar Cares is accepting donations for them, and they will be ready to provide the necessary aid when and if they are called upon.
“I think they are in shock,” she said. “They need time to absorb it.”
“Whenever they’re ready to accept our help, we’ll be here.”
To find out more about how to help the Oldsmar family affected by Sunday’s fire, contact Oldsmar Cares at 813-415-7373 or visit Oldsmar Cares.org.