Officials reschedule annual Oldsmar Days parade for September

When the annual Oldsmar Days parade was rained out last weekend, many questioned whether it would be rescheduled. It has. It is now planned for September 3, 2016, during the annual Celebrate Oldsmar! festival.

The annual Oldsmar Days parade has been rescheduled for September following the cancellation of the event last weekend.

The annual Oldsmar Days parade has been rescheduled for September following the cancellation of the event last weekend.

When rain forced the cancellation of the annual Oldsmar Days parade last weekend, many people in the community were saddened by what was considered to be the first cancellation in the event’s storied history.

But thanks to a recent decision by the City Council, those unhappy would-be parade goers can dry their tears.

Earlier this week, Council member and Oldsmar100 chair Dan Saracki said he was working with parade sponsor Upper Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce officials to reschedule the parade, and on Tuesday night, UTBCC board member Jerry Custin formally proposed the idea to the council.

“It was a big disappointment to me, because we put so much time into that parade, to have to cancel that thing,” Custin said.

“We have talked about…trying to arrange a parade for Celebrate Oldsmar,” he added, noting, “We’ll never be able to reconstruct what we had planned.”

Indeed this year’s Oldsmar Days parade promised to be one of the most spectacular editions to date, as classic Oldsmobiles owners from all over the country were scheduled to participate, including members of R.E. Olds’ family, who were in town for the city’s centennial celebration weekend.

In fact, officials said the parade route had to be lengthened this year in order to accommodate all the vehicles and participants.

Oldsmar Mayor Doug Bevis.

Oldsmar Mayor Doug Bevis.

But the nasty storms that rolled through central Florida on Saturday morning squashed any hope of witnessing what could have been a historic event.

“It’s unfortunate about the parade, but at the end of the day it’s about people’s safety,” Mayor Doug Bevis said of his difficult decision to cancel the parade mere minutes before its scheduled 11:00 a.m. start due to lighting in the area.

“We had a horses in the parade, and they were getting spooked, so we didn’t want to risk anybody getting hurt.”

After hearing the suggestion to move the parade to later in the year, the mayor said he was all for the idea.

“The parade means so much to so many people, I think it makes sense to hold it later this year so it’s still a part of our centennial celebration,” Bevis later told Oldsmar Connect.

“It will still be a lot of fun and filled with a lot of cool cars, it just won’t be held in its traditional timeframe this year. But at least we’re still going to have one!”

Related content:

One Response
  1. carole mason 3 years ago

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *